Monday, July 9, 2007

Water = Life



I'm doing a study of water. My body is made of at least 55% water. When we are babies, that percentage is as high as 78%! No wonder babies are so soft and cuddly! I must drink water continually or I will dehydrate. I cleanse my body in water. I cook with water. I cannot separate myself from this matter. H2O. Chemistry. A basic element. So simple yet so necessary for life.
But going beyond that, I use water for relaxation, meditation, and entertainment.
I find great comfort in water . . . hearing it move, feeling . . . drinking it in. I love to listen to a good hard rain, feel the thunder in the center of my being, watch as the water pours over the buildings, windows, streets, to walk in the rain to smell the moist earth afterward. It is a total body experience washing over my senses. But when was the last time that I experienced this so totally? Lately it seems I have prayed for rain because of the drought conditions and when it has come it has just been a matter of fact. I was too busy to do more than hope it would fall for more than just a few minutes. And I did remember to thank our Lord for the blessing of the rain.
Jeremiah 51:16 When he speaks in the thunder, the heavens are filled with water. He causes the clouds to rise over the earth. He sends the lightning with the rain and releases the wind from his storehouses.

Isaiah 44:3 For I will pour out water to quench your thirst and to irrigate your parched fields. And I will pour out my Spirit on your descendants, and my blessing on your children.

I turned to water to for the birth of my babies. (I’m going to write more about that later.) What could be more peaceful, more natural than to travel from water to water as one transitions into life on the outside?! Without sounding too mystic, it was a spiritual experience for me.
I guess I’m writing about water tonight because we haven’t had rain in such a long while. Everything is so dry and dusty and the air so thick with humidity it is difficult to breathe. I am longing for a good soaking rain to wash the air and rinse the dust away, to nourish the dry parched land, to help the plants grow. I’m longing for a cooling dip in a beautiful pool. Water would solve so much right now!

Isaiah 44:4 They will thrive like watered grass, like willows on a riverbank


Genesis 1:2 The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters.

Psalm 136:6 Give thanks to him who placed the earth among the waters. His faithful love endures forever.

"The motif's essential is the mirror of water whose aspect is constantly being modified by the changing sky reflected in it, and which imbues it with life and movement."
Claude Monet

No comments: