Monday, May 26, 2008

We Remember


Thank you Dad, Grandpa and Grandma for your brave service to our country in time of war. Thank you for coming back home. 
Thank you to those who served and did not come home.  You have "transformed the world in unimaginable ways."





They are dead; but they live in each Patriot's breast,
And their names are engraven on honor's bright crest.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


"Here Rests 
In Honored Glory 
An American Soldier 
Known But To God"

The Sentinels Creed

My dedication to this sacred duty is total and wholehearted. 
In the responsibility bestowed on me never will I falter. 
And with dignity and perseverance my standard will remain perfection. 
Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements, 
I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability. 
It is he who commands the respect I protect. 
His bravery that made us so proud. 
Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day alone in the thoughtful peace of night, 
this soldier will in honored glory rest under my eternal vigilance.





When he shall die,
 
Take him and cut him out in little stars, 
And he will make the face of heaven so fine 
That all the world will be in love with night, 
And pay no worship to the garish sun. 
-- Scene 2, Romeo and Juliet
William Shakespeare



Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget 
falls drop by drop upon the heart, 
until, in our own despair, against our will, 
comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.
Aeschylus.




I have fought a good fight 
I have finished my course 
I have kept the faith. 
-- Timothy 2:4:7


I pray that our Heavenly Father 
may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, 
and leave you only the cherished memory of the 
loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, 
to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom.
-- Abraham Lincoln, November 1864




"War drew us from our homeland 
In the sunlit springtime of our youth. 
Those who did not come back alive remain 
 in perpetual springtime -- forever young -- 
And a part of them is with us always."
-- Author Unknown




"Great harm has been done to us. 
We have suffered great loss. 
And in our grief and anger we have found 
our mission and our moment."
-- President George W. Bush, September 2001





They shall grow not old 
 As we that are left grow old, 
Age shall not weary them . .  
Nor the years condemn. 
At the going down of the sun, 
And in the morning, 
We will remember them!
-- Lawrence Binyon


No comments: