Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Legend




I was thinking about the meaning of the word Legend and what it takes for someone or something to become one.

There are fantastic tails of daring, music legends, movie star legends, and sports legends.

And then there's the legend on a map.

We say things like, "He was a legend in his time," "Legend has it . . . " "Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the legendary (insert name here)"


Some of my favorite legends are:


The epic poem, Beowulf
Robin Hood
Nat King Cole, Frank Sanatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Senor Pavarotti
Gene Kelly, Fred Astair, Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, Kate Hepburn
There are more, but I'm a little fuzzy headed right now.
The legend on the map of Chicago
This last week the world lost three legends: Dr. D. James Kennedy - legendary evangelist, Senor Pavarotti - legendary tenor, and Jane Wyman (President Regan's first wife) and a legendary actress - They always seem to happen in threes don't they?
Actually, the more you say the word, the more common it sounds!



5 comments:

Brittani Renee said...

Thanks! Yeah, I really like my manager already! She has been there for almost 10 years. I could get in trouble in that store- but I need the money more then I need to spend it ;)I'm still holding down that position on the weekends for those twins so I'm super busy!

Beth said...

Hey Jeny. I will let you know when the viewing and funeral will be for Marilyn. The last few years were so hard on her!

As far as my parents' new student, I'm not sure what her religious background is. I'm thinking maybe Catholic. When we were at dinner, her father prayed (in French) and then crossed himself, so that's the only reason I am saying Catholic but I'm not for sure. I'll have to ask :-)

I hope that you have a great day!

Beth said...

Marilyn's viewing will be this Sunday from 2:00-4:00 PM and 6:00-8:00 PM at Bubb's Funeral Chapel. Her funeral is at First Baptist at 11:00 on Monday.

jeny said...

Thank you Beth.

Brittani Renee said...

Aww I'm sorry you aren't feeling well :( I hope you get some extra rest this weekend. I have a cough and had a bad headache yesterday but I'm hoping to dry the sinus' before it gets worse. I don't have time for it to get worse- I know you don't either.